Are you considering changing the color scheme in your home? One of the easiest ways to achieve a fresh look is by updating the color of your furniture, starting with your beloved chair. To ensure a custom-made slipcover that fits like a glove, proper measurements are essential. In this guide, we will walk you through the process of how to measure chair for slipcover for a perfect-fit slipcover.
5 Easy Steps for How to Measure Chair for Slipcover
Here are five easy steps for how to measure chair for slipcover:
Step 1: Measuring the Cushions and Frame
To start, let’s focus on measuring the cushions and frame of your chair. By following these steps, you’ll obtain accurate measurements for a slipcover that fits snugly:
- Measure the Width: Use a measuring tape to determine the widest side of the chair from left to right. Begin measuring at the leg base or arms, whichever is the widest point.
- Determine the Depth: Measure the deepest side of the chair, adjacent to the width, from the back to the front. If your furniture has a curvature design, start the measurement at the top or bottom of the chair back.
- Find the Height: Measure from the ground to the top of the chair. For breathability, it is recommended to choose a slipcover that is 1-2 inches shorter than the height of your furniture.
Step 2: Understanding Armrest Measurements
The armrests of your chair play a crucial role in determining the perfect fit for your slipcover. Follow these steps to obtain accurate measurements:
- Measure the Armrest Width: Use a measuring tape to determine the width of one armrest diagonally. Start measuring from the base of the armrest.
- Determine the Armrest Depth: Measure the depth of the armrest from the front to the back. This measurement will ensure a proper fit for the slipcover.
Step 3: Measuring the Backrest
The backrest of your chair is an important element to consider when measuring for a slipcover. Follow these steps to obtain accurate measurements:
- Measure the Backrest Height: Use a measuring tape to determine the height of the backrest from top to bottom. This measurement will help you find a slip cover that covers the entire backrest.
Step 4: Measuring the Seat
The seat of your chair is another crucial area that requires accurate measurements. Follow these steps to ensure a well-fitted slipcover:
- Measure the Seat Width: Use a measuring tape to determine the width of the seat from the inside arm to the inside arm. This measurement will help you find a slipcover that covers the entire seat.
- Determine the Seat Depth: Measure the depth of the seat from the back to the front. This measurement ensures that the slipcover will fit properly over the seat cushions.
Step 5: Comparing Measurements to Slipcover Dimensions
Once you have obtained all the necessary measurements, it’s time to compare them to the dimensions of the slipcover you are considering. Pay attention to the following factors:
- Arm Flap Dimensions: Compare the armrest width and armrest depth measurements to the arm flap dimensions provided with the slipcover. This comparison will ensure a proper fit for the armrests.
- Back Flap Length: Compare the backrest height measurement to the back flap length provided with the slipcover. This will help you select a slip cover that covers the entire backrest.
- Seat Width: Compare the seat width measurement to the seat width dimensions provided with the slipcover. This ensures that the slipcover will fit properly over the seat cushions.
- Seat-to-Floor Flap Length: Compare the seat depth measurement to the seat-to-floor flap length provided with the slipcover. This will help you select a slipcover that fits the seat cushions snugly.
3 Effective Tips for a Well-Fitted Slipcover
To ensure a well-fitted slipcover, consider the following tips:
- Choose a Slightly Larger Size: If you can’t find a slipcover with exact dimensions, opt for one that is slightly larger in width and depth. This will provide more flexibility in fitting your chair.
- Consider Stacking Chair Covers: If you have multiple chairs that stack or nest, or chairs with unique dimensions, consider using stacking chair covers. These covers are designed to accommodate various chair sizes.
- Test the Fit: Once you have purchased your slipcover, drape it over your chair and make adjustments as needed. Tuck any excess material between the arms and cushions to achieve a neat and tailored look.
3 Benefits of Custom-Made Slipcovers
Custom-made slipcovers offer several benefits, including:
- Color and Style Transformation: Change the color scheme and style of your furniture easily by using custom-made slipcovers. This cost-effective solution allows you to update your decor without the need for expensive re-upholstery.
- Protection for Your Furniture: Slipcovers act as a protective layer, shielding your furniture from stains, spills, and general wear and tear. They can extend the lifespan of your chairs and keep them looking fresh and new.
- Easy Maintenance: Slipcovers are generally machine washable, making them easy to clean and maintain. This is especially beneficial for families with children, pet owners, or those who frequently entertain guests.
3 Additional Tips and Considerations
Here are a few additional tips and considerations to keep in mind when measuring your chair for a slipcover:
- Fabric Types: Slipcovers are available in various fabric types, including durable twill, cotton, stretch, microfiber, denim, tapestry, micro suede, and faux leather. Choose a fabric that suits your style and lifestyle.
- Color and Pattern Selection: Slipcovers come in a wide range of color shades and patterns. Consider selecting a color or pattern that complements your existing decor and enhances the overall aesthetic of your space.
- Matching Covers: In addition to chair slipcovers, you can also find matching covers for armchairs, ottomans, futons, loveseats, and even pet beds. This allows you to create a cohesive look throughout your home.
Custom Slipcovers and Cushion Covers
If you cannot find a slipcover that fits your chair or if you have unique cushion shapes, you may consider opting for custom slipcovers and cushion covers. These made-to-order options ensure a perfect fit for your specific furniture and cushion dimensions. Explore options for custom slipcovers to achieve a tailored look.
FAQs About How to Measure Chair for Slipcover
What is the Best Way to Measure Chair Height?
The best way to measure chair height is to ensure that the user is in a seated position with their feet flat on the floor. Then, measure from the back of the person’s knees to the floor. Additionally, for determining the optimal seat height range for a work surface, the general rule of thumb is to subtract 10 inches from the work surface height to find the mid-point of the chair’s seat height range. The seat height range should adjust at least 2.5 inches above and below this mid-point, accommodating different work surface heights.
What Kind of Slipcover Do I Need?
The kind of slipcover you need depends on the purpose, design, and fabric you prefer. Ready-made slipcovers come in two main types: mass-produced covers and factory-made replacements for specific furniture models. They are affordable and readily available but may not offer as much customization as custom-made covers. When buying a ready-made cover, consider its purpose, design, and fabric. One-piece designs and two-piece designs are available, with different looks and functions. The fabric options are limited compared to custom-made covers, but they include synthetic stretchy knits and woven options like cotton canvas and denim.
What Type of Linen is Best for Slipcovers?
The best type of linen for slipcovers depends on the purpose, design, and fabric preference. Ready-made slipcovers come in various fabrics such as upholstery-weight matelassé, 100% cotton, and more, catering to different needs and preferences. For instance, a classic damask pattern slipcover is made of upholstery-weight matelassé, offering sophisticated texture and a heavy-duty yet stylish design. On the other hand, a slipcover for wing chairs features 100% cotton fabric, making it ideal for high-traffic family rooms and offering practicality with its machine washable feature. Therefore, the choice of linen for slipcovers should align with the intended use and desired aesthetic.
What is the Best Fabric for Chair Covers?
The best fabric for chair covers depends on the specific needs and priorities of the buyer. Linen is popular for its durability, sustainability, and easy care, making it a long-term investment. For high-traffic areas with kids and pets, durable fabrics like faux suede, Sunbrella indoor-outdoor fabric, and slip-covered upholstery are recommended. Linen is best suited for formal living rooms or adult areas because it soils and wrinkles easily and won’t withstand heavy wear. Therefore, when choosing the best fabric for chair covers, it’s important to consider factors such as durability, comfort, and style.
What Fabric is Used for Slip Covers?
The choice of fabric for slipcovers depends on various factors such as fabric composition, durability, comfort, and maintenance. Different scenarios require different fabrics. For example, polyester-spandex blends are recommended for ready-made slipcovers, while custom slipcovers require fabric selection based on priorities like durability or comfort. Low-static and durable fabrics are ideal for pet owners, and for a white shabby chic look, linen or cotton duck fabric is recommended. Additionally, medium to heavy-weight, natural fiber fabrics that are durable, washable, and have long-lasting design appeal are recommended for slipcovers. Commonly used fabrics for slipcovers include cotton duck, canvas, denim, and twill blends, each offering their unique advantages in terms of comfort, durability, and style.
Measuring your chair for a custom-made slipcover is a simple yet essential step in transforming the look of your furniture. By following the step-by-step instructions in this guide, you can ensure a perfect fit and create a fresh new look for your space. Enjoy the process of choosing a slipcover that matches your style and enjoy the benefits of protecting and updating your furniture with ease.