You’re not alone if you’ve ever struggled with collapsing a beach chair. Many beachgoers need help to fold and store these chairs properly. In this article, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to fold beach chair effectively. Whether you have a Tommy Bahama chair, a Rio Gear Big Guy backpack chair, or any other brand, our guide will help you master the art of folding beach chairs.
Understanding Your Beach Chair
Before we dive into the folding process, it’s essential to familiarize yourself with the different components of a beach chair. Most beach chairs consist of a seat, backrest, armrests, and various supporting bars and hinges. Some chairs also come with additional features like storage pouches or coolers. Understanding the structure of your beach chair will make it easier to follow the folding instructions.
5 Easy Steps for How to Fold Beach Chair
Here are 5 easy steps for how to fold beach chair:
Step 1: Preparing the Chair for Folding
Before you start folding your beach chair, it’s important to ensure that all pockets and storage compartments are empty. Remove any items, such as towels or personal belongings, from the chair to prevent them from spilling out during the folding process. Shake off any loose sand or debris to keep your chair clean and prevent damage.
Step 2: Collapsing the Chair
To begin folding your beach chair, locate the metal bars beneath the seat. Depending on the chair model, there are different techniques you can use to collapse the chair effectively.
Technique 1: Applying Pressure on the Back Metal Bar
- Stand behind the chair and place one foot on the back metal bar.
- Lean over the chair, ensuring that all side pockets and storage pouches are empty.
- With one hand on the top edge of the backrest, use the other hand to push down on the front metal bar.
- Keep stepping on the back metal bar as you nudge the backrest forward and let the seat fully collapse.
- Check that the back towel bar is flat against the back of the chair.
Technique 2: Kneeling and Pushing the Front Metal Bar
- While your chair is still in the upright position, kneel in front of it.
- Place both hands on the seat, near the front metal bar.
- Apply pressure and push the front metal bar down towards the ground.
- Lean the chair onto the back metal bar, using one hand on the top edge of the backrest for support.
- Continue pushing down on the front metal bar until the chair fully collapses.
Step 3: Securing the Chair for Transportation
Once your beach chair is collapsed, it’s important to secure it properly before transporting it. This will prevent the chair from unfolding or getting damaged during transit. Follow these steps to secure your chair:
- Locate the plastic buckle attached to a strap on top of the backrest.
- Find the pronged plastic buckle attached to the base of the seat.
- Clip both buckles into place to ensure that the backrest and seat portions stay together.
- Shake the chair to remove any remaining sand or debris.
Step 4: Carrying the Chair
Now that your beach chair is securely folded, it’s time to decide how you want to carry it. Most chairs come with two options for transportation: backpack straps or a rubber handle.
Option 1: Using Backpack Straps
- Look for two padded straps that run parallel to each other beneath the seat cushion.
- Place one arm under each strap and pull the straps onto your shoulders, like wearing a backpack.
- Make sure the seat is close to your back as you stand and walk.
- This option is best if you need your hands free for other items, like bags or beach blankets.
Option 2: Holding the Rubber Handle
- Locate the rubber handle attached to the top of the backrest.
- Hold onto the handle firmly with one hand.
- This option is convenient if you prefer to carry the chair by hand.
Step 5: Reopening the Chair
When you’re ready to use your beach chair again, it’s time to unfold it. Follow these steps to reopen the chair:
- Set the chair on a flat and sturdy section of the ground.
- Before sitting down, examine both metal bars to ensure they are fully extended.
- Place one hand on the top of the backrest and another on the edge of the seat cushion.
- Pull these sections apart until the seat is in an upright position.
- If desired, gently apply pressure beneath the right armrest to recline the seat. Tommy Bahama chairs offer multiple reclining positions.
3 Additional Tips and Considerations for How to Fold Beach Chair
Here are a few additional tips and considerations for how to fold beach chair:
- Sand is corrosive to the chair and can damage condo flooring, so knock off any sand before bringing the chair indoors.
- If you have difficulties folding your specific chair, check for instructional videos online. Some chairs may have unique folding mechanisms.
- When purchasing a beach chair, consider whether your accommodation provides them. Renting chairs from nearby stores can be an eco-friendly option.
FAQs About How to Fold Beach Chair
Do Butterfly Chairs Fold Up?
Yes, Butterfly Chairs do fold up. They are designed to be portable and easy to store, making them a convenient seating option for various environments such as dorm rooms, apartments, or any space where squeezing in some extra seating is needed. The chair can be folded up in seconds to a compact size, allowing for effortless storage. Its folded dimensions are 34″H x 23″W x 27″D, making it easy to store out of the way when not in use. The folding feature of the Butterfly Chair makes it a practical choice for those looking for versatile seating options.
Why Are Beach Chairs So Close to the Ground?
Beach chairs are designed to be close to the ground for several reasons. Firstly, the lower seat height provides stability on uneven and sandy surfaces, reducing the likelihood of the chair toppling over. This is particularly important on the beach where the terrain can be unstable. Secondly, the low design allows for easy stretching out and relaxation, providing a comfortable experience for beachgoers. Additionally, being closer to the ground offers better protection from wind and allows users to feel more connected to the beach environment. However, the low height can make it challenging for individuals with mobility issues to get up from the chair. Overall, the design of beach chairs prioritizes stability, comfort, and a close connection to the beach environment.
What is Folding Chair Called?
A folding chair is commonly referred to as a lawn chair, canvas chair, camping chair, camping armchair, bag chair, beach chair, camp chair, collapsible chair, or deck chair. These are some of the names used to describe this portable and lightweight chair that can be folded flat for easy storage and transportation. The term “bag chair” can also be used to describe bean bag chairs. The names may vary in different English-speaking countries.
Mastering the art of folding a beach chair is essential for any beach enthusiast. By following our comprehensive guide, you can confidently collapse and transport your beach chair with ease. Remember to familiarize yourself with the specific features of your chair and always take precautions to prevent damage during folding and transportation. Now, go and enjoy your beach adventures with your perfectly folded beach chair!