Are you tired of sinking into a deflated bean bag chair? Do you want to know the easiest and fastest way to refill a bean bag without the mess? Look no further! In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the step-by-step guide on how to fill a bean bag chair and provide you with valuable tips and tricks to ensure a successful and hassle-free experience.
Introduction to Bean Bag Chairs
Bean bag chairs are beloved for their comfort, versatility, and vibrant colors. They are especially popular among kids and teenagers, providing a cozy seating option for reading, gaming, or simply lounging around. Over time, however, the filling in bean bag chairs tends to break down, causing them to lose their shape and support. Refilling your bean bag chair is the perfect solution to revive its plushness and extend its lifespan.
Gathering the 4 Necessary Supplies
Before you begin the filling process, gathering all the necessary supplies is essential. Here’s a checklist of items you will need:
- Bean bag filler: Opt for three 100-liter bags of regular polystyrene beans. You can find these at local stores like Target or Walmart or repurpose beans from an old bean bag.
- Bean bag inner cover: Your package should include two covers – a durable outer cotton cover and a waterproof inner cover. The inner cover is where the filler goes.
- Large DIY cardboard cone: Create a cone-shaped funnel using firm paper or cardboard.
- Vacuum cleaner (optional): To clean up any spilled beans or debris during the filling process.
Preparing the Workspace
Before you start filling your bean bag chair, it is crucial to prepare your workspace to minimize mess and ensure a smooth process. Follow these steps:
- Choose a small, uncarpeted area or even a bathtub for filling the bean bag. This will contain any spillage and make cleanup easier.
- Turn off any fans or air-conditioners to prevent the beans from blowing away.
- Remove any dirt or dust from the area by vacuuming or sweeping.
Understanding the Bean Bag Components
To successfully fill a bean bag chair, it is important to understand its components. Most bean bags consist of an outer cover and an inner cover. The outer cover is typically made of a durable fabric and can be removed for cleaning. The inner cover, which holds the bean bag filler, is usually made of a waterproof material and is not meant to be removed.
5 Easy Step-by-Step Guides for How to Fill a Bean Bag Chair
Here are five easy step-by-step guides for how to fill a bean bag chair:
Step 1: Opening the Bean Bag Chair
Now that you have prepared your workspace and familiarized yourself with the bean bag components, it’s time to open the bean bag chair. Follow these steps:
- Place the bean bag chair upside down and shake it gently to ensure the filling is away from the zipper area.
- Locate the zipper on the inner cover and unzip it. If the zipper has a lock, use a paperclip to unlock it.
- Insert the narrow end of the DIY cardboard cone into the opening of the inner cover, ensuring a secure fit.
Step 2: Pouring the Bean Bag Filler
With the bean bag chair opened and ready, it’s time to pour in the bean bag filler. Follow these steps:
- Take one bag of bean bag filler and cut a small opening in the corner of the bag.
- Slowly and steadily pour the beans into the DIY cardboard cone, allowing them to flow into the inner cover. Be mindful of filling the chair appropriately.
- Use gentle shaking and tapping on the sides of the bean bag to distribute the filler evenly.
Step 3: Adjusting the Filling
Once you have poured in a sufficient amount of bean bag filler, it’s time to assess the filling level and make any necessary adjustments. Keep these tips in mind:
- Avoid overfilling the bean bag chair, as it can make it uncomfortable and put unnecessary stress on the seams.
- Aim to fill the bean bag to around two-thirds of its capacity, leaving room for the beans to move and conform to your body.
- Test the bean bag chair by sitting on it and adjusting the filling as needed for optimal comfort and support.
Step 4: Securing the Bean Bag Chair
After achieving the desired filling level, it’s important to secure the bean bag chair to prevent any spills or leakage. Follow these steps:
- Remove the DIY cardboard cone from the inner cover.
- Zip up the inner cover, ensuring it is fully closed and sealed.
- Place the outer cover over the filled inner cover, aligning the zippers if applicable.
- Zip up the outer cover, enclosing the filled inner cover and providing a finished look.
Step 5: Cleaning Up
Once your bean bag chair is filled and secured, it’s time to clean up any spilled beans or debris. Follow these steps:
- Use a vacuum cleaner to clean the surrounding area, ensuring all loose beans are collected.
- If any beans have spilled onto the floor, carefully collect them and return them to the bean bag or dispose of them properly.
- Wipe down the bean bag chair and the workspace to remove any remaining dust or particles.
Maintenance and Longevity Tips for Bean Bag Chair
To ensure the longevity of your bean bag chair and maintain its comfort, consider the following tips:
- Regularly fluff and rotate the bean bag to prevent the filling from settling unevenly.
- Avoid placing sharp objects or sitting on the bean bag with sharp items in your pockets to prevent punctures.
- Keep the bean bag away from direct sunlight to prevent fading or discoloration of the fabric.
- If needed, refill your bean bag chair periodically to maintain its plushness and support.
3 Alternative Filling Options
While polystyrene beans are the most common filling for bean bag chairs, there are alternative options available. Consider these environmentally sustainable alternatives:
- Buckwheat hulls: Provide a natural and eco-friendly filling option with a unique texture.
- Cedar shavings: Offer a pleasant aroma and natural insect-repelling properties.
- Dried corn, rice, or peas: Create a softer and more natural feel to the bean bag chair.
FAQs About How to Fill a Bean Bag Chair
What is the Best Way to Fill a Bean Bag Chair?
The best way to fill a bean bag chair is by using tiny polystyrene balls, also known as Styrofoam, which can be found in stores catering to crafting and hobbies. It’s essential to fill the bean bag in a room with no breeze to prevent the filling from blowing around. Additionally, it’s recommended to purchase extra filling for future refills and to be cautious with children around bean bag chairs due to potential choking hazards. Quality stitching and durable materials such as leather are also recommended for longevity.
What is the Best Filling for a Bean Bag Toss?
The best filling for a bean bag toss can be tiny polystyrene balls, also known as Styrofoam, which are commonly used to fill modern bean bags. Additionally, you can use materials such as rice, old clothes, shredded paper, cedar shavings, edible beans, packing peanuts, and organic materials as alternative fillers for bean bags. However, it’s important to fill the bean bag in a room with no breeze to prevent the filling from blowing around. When using alternative fillers, consider the cleaning, recycling, and sustainability aspects of each option. It’s also advisable to purchase extra filling for future refills and to be cautious with children around bean bag chairs due to potential choking hazards.
What is an Alternative to Beanbag Filling?
An excellent alternative to traditional bean bag filling is to use polystyrene balls, also known as Styrofoam. These tiny balls provide excellent support and comfort to the bean bag chair. When filling the bean bag, it’s best to do so in a room with no breeze to prevent the balls from scattering. Additionally, it’s advisable to purchase extra filling to have on hand for future refills, as the bean bag may compact over time.
Filling a bean bag chair doesn’t have to be a daunting task. By following these step-by-step instructions and utilizing the tips provided, you can easily refill your bean bag chair without the mess. Remember to gather all the necessary supplies, prepare your workspace, pour the filler carefully, and adjust the filling for optimal comfort. Enjoy your revitalized bean bag chair and the cozy seating it provides for years!